[Uim] Setting up for (traditional) Chinese and Japanese input on a modern GNOME installation

Duncan Mak duncan at ximian.com
Thu Sep 2 09:15:22 EEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 22:19 +0900, TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki wrote:

> I recommend scim if you type Chinese. And, from the point of view of
> consistency, I recommend scim-uim for you to type Japanese right now.
>
> This document may help you.
> http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~apricots/mandrake/miniguide.html

After writing this e-mail, I went to SCIM's page and downloaded their
RPM packages. For Chinese input, it works perfectly (if only I could use
the pinyin method to write only traditional characters!).
Congratulations to both teams! This is really awesome!

You're correct that UIM/anthy is a lot better than SCIM for typing
Japanese. I tried using SCIM's method, and it could not do mixed-input
(kana + kanji) at all. Without mixed-mode support, it is effectively
useless.

I installed anthy, UIM and scim-uim afterward and things work
beautifully now.

I do have a few problems:

(1) I use gdm as my display manager. On startup, it seems like scim
takes a long time to load and my X input is frozen completely. It takes
about 2 ~ 3 minutes until everything settles down. Usually, I switch
back to the text terminal and then switch back, that seems to fix it
somehow.

(2) This also happens right after I log into my GNOME session. When I
start up my first app that can handle text input (gnome-terminal, say),
the SCIM tray icon flicks constantly for about 3 mins or so, until it
settles down.

It'll be nice if these two bugs goes away, then I can be productive as
soon as I turn on my machine.

(3) This is a strange one. Using gedit, anthy works great with SCIM. I
can type words (i.e. きょう and it'll show me 今日 with an underline. I press
enter and the word gets inserted and the underline goes away).

With gaim however, my enter key does not release the current selected
word from the underlining. Which means I have no way of finishing one
word and moving on to the next one. Without this, it is very difficult
to write anything substantial.

Bug (3) is my current no.1 bug. I don't know how to debug it. If someone
would like to look into this problem, please contact me and I'll try my
best to find a way to reproduce the error.

I'm running:
	scim-0.99.2-1suse
	uim-0.3.9-1 (home-made RPM)
	scim-uim-0.1.1