[Uim] GTK+ version dependency

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Thu Jan 6 23:45:11 EET 2005

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 05:23:53 +0900
YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:

> At Thu, 6 Jan 2005 04:31:19 +0900,
> tkng at xem.jp wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 03:55:04 +0900
> > YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:

> > > It's the problem.
> >
> > It's not a problem. GTK+ immodule requires 2.2 and GTK+ helpers
> > requires 2.4 is too confusing, users wouldn't understand such
> > dependency.
>
> You said "I'll make GTK+ *helpers* to require GTK+ 2.4".

There's no intention to emphasize 'helpers'. Simply I forgot to write
'immodule'.

> And you also said so (immodule will not requires GTK+ 2.2) to me
> before if I remember correctly. So I had determined your
> modification to configure.ac is an error.

The situation was changed. Why we need GTK+ 2.4 at that time is for
sumika (If I remember correctly). At that time, GTK+ 2.4 was not popular
enough and sumika was not practical a bit. Now sumika was broken down
and reimplemented as uim-dict and uim-pref, I think they're practical
and worth.

> > The problem is that 'GTK+2.4 is popular enough or not'. I'm standing
> > on GTK+ 2.4 is popular enough, so required GTK+ 2.4.
>
> Okay, you had intended it for immodule also.
>
> But what you said sounds for me as "I want to be loose". So I
> said as following as related issue.

Yes, I want to be loose as far as possible. I want to use GtkComboBox
(because sumika used it. I copied much code from sumika.) and it
requires GTK+2.4. Rewriting uim-pref-gtk without GtkComboBox is too much
of a bother.

> At Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:12:11 +0900,
> yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp wrote:
> > Regardless of uim should require which version at least, I think
> > that uim programmers should ensure that which GTK+ API functions
> > used in uim are depending on which version of GTK+, rather than
> > just try compiling and running on developer's
> > environment. i.e. see 'Since 2.x' message of reference manual.
> >
> > And if a developer want to use new feature of GTK+ higher than
> > required version, the code fragments must be enclosed in version
> > dependent part as following.
> >
> > helper/toolbar-common-gtk.c:
> > #if GTK_CHECK_VERSION(2, 4, 0)
> >       gtk_check_menu_item_set_draw_as_radio(GTK_CHECK_MENU_ITEM(men
> >       u_item), TRUE);
> > #endif
> >
> > Habitize such process will prevent version mismatch trouble such
> > as in uim 0.4.4.
>
> I don't oppose your opinion if some useful feature exists in
> GTK+ 2.4 and a uim developer want to use it. But if not so, I
> think that we should keep 2.2 compatibility since it costs us
> nothing if above habit is really habit.
>
> Of course actual build test will cost us something, declare 2.2
> as 'did not tested and not recommended' is most beneficial for
> users and developers. I know at least one user using GTK+ 2.2
> and uim in his office (he doesn't have permission to update
> GTK+).

I changed for him to require GTK+ 2.2 again. But of course I didn't
test.

--
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki
tkng at xem.jp