[Uim] GTK+ version dependency

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Fri Jan 7 07:33:32 EET 2005

Hi Hiroyuki,

At Fri, 7 Jan 2005 06:45:11 +0900,
tkng at xem.jp wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 05:23:53 +0900
> YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:
> > > The problem is that 'GTK+2.4 is popular enough or not'. I'm standing
> > > on GTK+ 2.4 is popular enough, so required GTK+ 2.4.
> >
> > Okay, you had intended it for immodule also.
> >
> > But what you said sounds for me as "I want to be loose". So I
> > said as following as related issue.
>
> Yes, I want to be loose as far as possible. I want to use GtkComboBox
> (because sumika used it. I copied much code from sumika.) and it
> requires GTK+2.4. Rewriting uim-pref-gtk without GtkComboBox is too much
> of a bother.

I don't oppose to requiring GTK+ 2.4 by such reason, as I said
in previous mail. It's a proper reason.

But please understand what I'm worried about and give me
explicit answer to remove the worry.

I'm worried about occurrence of implicit GTK+ 2.6 dependency.
What I meant by "I want to be loose" is "I don't ensure all GTK+
API functions used in uim is available in GTK+ 2.4".

Please explicitly declare "I will habitize following coding
process to ensure proper GTK+ version dependency. All uim
deveper must also be so.". Then I'll shut my loud mouth with
happy mind.

> > At Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:12:11 +0900,
> > yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp wrote:
> > > Regardless of uim should require which version at least, I think
> > > that uim programmers should ensure that which GTK+ API functions
> > > used in uim are depending on which version of GTK+, rather than
> > > just try compiling and running on developer's
> > > environment. i.e. see 'Since 2.x' message of reference manual.
> > >
> > > And if a developer want to use new feature of GTK+ higher than
> > > required version, the code fragments must be enclosed in version
> > > dependent part as following.
> > >
> > > helper/toolbar-common-gtk.c:
> > > #if GTK_CHECK_VERSION(2, 4, 0)
> > >       gtk_check_menu_item_set_draw_as_radio(GTK_CHECK_MENU_ITEM(men
> > >       u_item), TRUE);
> > > #endif
> > >
> > > Habitize such process will prevent version mismatch trouble such
> > > as in uim 0.4.4.

> > Of course actual build test will cost us something, declare 2.2
> > as 'did not tested and not recommended' is most beneficial for
> > users and developers. I know at least one user using GTK+ 2.2
> > and uim in his office (he doesn't have permission to update
> > GTK+).
>
> I changed for him to require GTK+ 2.2 again. But of course I didn't
> test.

Thanks. It's good enough.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp