[Xorg] CVS HEAD -- ftfuncs.c:931: error: structure has no membernamed `find_sbit_image'

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Tue Aug 3 10:29:38 PDT 2004

I think the solution to these problems lay on the shoulders of
both us and Freetype.  We've accepted the dependency; it
is incumbent on us to also help in the testing and work
in the freetype project to help the situation.

I think we can/should help the process; by better testing of
Freetype CVS we can help reduce the breakage caused by
unintended changes upstream.  I think by working with/in
the freetype project the situation can be improved.

One thing we can/should do is have several of
our tinderbox systems configured to be using freetype CVS
(one 32 bit, one 64 bit); then at least compilation issues
can be discovered before they are shipped, and monitored easily
by Freetype developers (or if freetype prefers, they'd be
welcome to run X tinderclients).

Other sorts of bugs, of course, will remain, but at least
incomptible build situations should't appear to surprise us.

Given the slow release cycle of X in the past and only
occasional testing this approach has not been feasible in
the past; it is now, and we should seize the opportunity.

Note, however, that much this current issue arose mostly because
we asked that the changes be pushed upstream (the interface
used privately to become public), and we flailed around dealing
with whether to support older-rev freetypes.
                           - Jim