[Xorg] XComposite, XDamage Extension with Xvideo or GL

Andy Ritger aritger at nvidia.com
Fri Aug 6 10:41:52 PDT 2004

The technical challenges of Damage/Composite with direct rendering
clients have been discussed in threads such as this one:

    http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2004-May/000607.html

I believe Damage/Composite + GLX direct rendering clients is a
solvable problem, but there will be a significant performance
impact, and it will be a long term project (eg: I do not have an
ETA of when NVIDIA will be able to provide an OpenGL driver that
interacts correctly with Damage/Composite; I'm not familiar with
DRI's schedule for Damage/Composite support).

I do not believe video overlays will be usable with Damage/Composite.

Thanks,
- Andy