Xgl server

c99drn at cs.umu.se c99drn at cs.umu.se
Sun Nov 7 13:32:17 PST 2004

Quoting Jon Smirl <jonsmirl at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:24:08 -0500, Jim Gettys <jim.gettys at hp.com> wrote:
> > This is absolutely, stupendously wonderful!
>
> Dave, how much faster would you say XGL is than the current X server?
> Have any simple benchmarks from the parts of the system that work?
> Even without benchmarks, how much faster does it feel, is the
> difference obvious to a normal user?

That's very hard to say. I don't know how well OpenGL's line drawing and bit
blitting compares to a well accelerated XOrg driver, but I dought it's faster.
However, if it's slower, I don't think it's so much slower that there's a
problem.

It's important to know that glitz and XGL are designed to be fast at RENDER. So
applications that use RENDER, like a composite manager or a cairo application,
can run faster on XGL than any other X server. There's no trapezoid
acceleration in XGL yet, so cairo applications might not run as fast as they
could right now, but I hope to start experimenting with that soon.

-David