xwd debug assistance

Jens Owen jens at tungstengraphics.com
Tue Nov 30 07:49:49 PST 2004

Dave,

Is it possible you are "picking" an overlay window?  Try using one of
the options to xwd that allow you to specify a window ID.  You'll need
to use xwininfo to determine the ID of the actual window containing the
image you want.

You might also look for special options on HP's xwd, they may have modes
to support multiple layers.

> Hi,
>
> I use xwd to grab sceenshots from a high-end CAD system for
> distribution. Typically, I do "xwd > somefilename" and then pick in my
> graphics window. The problem is, sometimes this works fine and sometimes it
> doesn't. Sometimes when I do "display somefilename" I get exactly what I
> expect and other times I just get an empty screen or a screen with part of the
> image. Each time it is a little different and my workaround has been to keep
> redoing "xwd > somefilename" until I get something I can use.
>
> It's gotten to the point that I'm ready to do something but I don't know where
> to start.  I've been following this list for a while hoping to see something
> useful but I haven't yet so I'm asking directly: Can anyone give me some
> pointers on how to go about debugging this?  I know a little C-I'm more a Perl
> guy but if someone could give me some hints about how xwd is supposed to work
> and where to look it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> If it matters I'm running UGS Ideas on hp-ux 11.0
>
> Thanks
> Dave Driscoll

                                /\
          Jens Owen            /  \/\ _