xwd debug assistance

Dave Driscoll ddriscoll at triustc.com
Tue Nov 30 11:32:25 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 08:49:49AM -0700, Jens Owen wrote:

> >Hi,
> >
> >I use xwd to grab sceenshots from a high-end CAD system for
> >distribution. Typically, I do "xwd > somefilename" and then pick in my
> >graphics window. The problem is, sometimes this works fine and sometimes
> >it
> >doesn't. Sometimes when I do "display somefilename" I get exactly what I
> >expect and other times I just get an empty screen or a screen with part
> >of the
> >image. Each time it is a little different and my workaround has been to
> >keep
> >redoing "xwd > somefilename" until I get something I can use.
> >
> >It's gotten to the point that I'm ready to do something but I don't know
> >where
> >to start.  I've been following this list for a while hoping to see
> >something
> >useful but I haven't yet so I'm asking directly: Can anyone give me some
> >pointers on how to go about debugging this?  I know a little C-I'm more a
> >Perl
> >guy but if someone could give me some hints about how xwd is supposed to
> >work
> >and where to look it would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >If it matters I'm running UGS Ideas on hp-ux 11.0
> >
> >Thanks
> >Dave Driscoll
> >

> Dave,
>
> Is it possible you are "picking" an overlay window?  Try using one of
> the options to xwd that allow you to specify a window ID.  You'll need
> to use xwininfo to determine the ID of the actual window containing the
> image you want.
>
> You might also look for special options on HP's xwd, they may have modes
> to support multiple layers.
>
> --
>                                /\
>          Jens Owen            /  \/\ _
>   jens at tungstengraphics.com  /    \ \ \   Steamboat Springs, Colorado

Jens,

Tried your suggestions.  The attached .tar file shows my problem. I used xwd
-id (windowIdFromxwininfo) > filename five times. The first two times with the
-multi option which is the default with hp-ux and three times with -single to
capture only the named window.  Nothing else changed: same windows in the same
locations, no refresh, nada-different results in each case. I would really
like some clues as to how to debug this non-deterministic behavior.

Thanks,
Dave