Xorg snapshots, and i915 driver

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 13:31:51 PST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:46:25 -0500, Alain Gagnon <agagnon at oriso.com> wrote:

> Hello,

<snip>

> My question is this, is this a problem with my bios? Will this be fixed
> in the next release of Xorg? Or should I try and contact the
> manufacturer of the laptop (which might be problematic, it being a
> whitebook) for a bios update, or such? I don't know if this is the right
> list to address, but it's the only one I found with technical help for
> built-in drivers from dri, or xorg.

for a variety of reasons the X server for intel chips is limited to
using the bios for mode setting.  if your bios doesn't have it, you
are pretty much out of luck.  A few people have managed to add new
modes to their bioses using the i855resolution tool, YMMV.  Ask your
laptop manufacturer to update their bios with update mode information.

Alex