i945GM don't show video at vga port (blue screen)

Drew Parsons dparsons at debian.org
Tue May 29 22:05:05 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 10:18 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 14:37 +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
>
> > Yeah, it works fine.  I didn't put it into unstable since Keith is still
> > working on it.
>
> And I've stuck something slightly different into the upstream driver
> code at this point. By default, measures the area covered by the overlay
> on each crtc and picks the crtc showing more of the overlay. The XV_PIPE
> property can override this when two crtcs are showing a portion of the
> overlay.
>
> I've done a bunch of additional work to fix the overlay on the i830;
> peopoe with those chips are encouraged to give the current master
> version a try and report back status. I've only got an IBM X30 for i830
> testing, so I'm particularily interested in hearing back from people
> with other i830-based machines.

I've upload the latest (to commit
516fb73ffee0aea7cf892e6703d37f8ecf52b812) to debian experimental.

For me it half works.  I'm on a laptop with 855GM, using the laptop LCD
(LVDS) and an external monitor (VGA).  If I start X with the external
monitor unplugged, using only LVDS, then Xv does work.  The video
displays correctly on the LCD screen.

If I plug in the external monitor (and run xrandr --auto), then the
video displays on VGA while showing the blue window on LVDS at the same
time. From what you wrote I understand this is the behaviour you
intended.

The problem occurs if I then unplug the external monitor (and run xrandr
--auto).  In this case, even though only LVDS is now used, it still
displays the blue window instead of video.  I can plug VGA in again, and
video will work once again there.  Only the restoration of LVDS is lost;
it only works the first time after start up.

This is with xserver 1.3.

Drew