Radeon acceleration with Xfbdev

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh@kernel.crashing.org
Tue, 02 Dec 2003 18:01:14 +1100

> > With my new driver ?
>
> Yes.
>
> > What's wrong ?
>
> Colours are wrong in console at 16 bpp, and the acceleration is broken
> in 565.
>
> The colours are right in Xati now (maybe they were only wrong in
> Xfbdev), but the acceleration is similarly broken in depths 8, 15 and
> 16.

Hrm... Dunno about accel in Xati (didn't have time to look at it yet)
but colours look a lot like the palette isn't set properly for the
given depth.

The fbdev layer won't do it automatically on mode change, fbcon is
broken in this regard (but 2.6 fbcon imho, despite having a nice
separation between fbcon and fbdev than 2.4, is functionally broken)

XFree with "UseFBDev" works, so the setting done to the card by
radeonfb seem fine, and X does set a correct palette for the mode

 .../... a bit later .../...

I've tried adding a hack to my new radeonfb (yet another...) that one
dept change, in set_par, resets the fb_info->cmap to some sane default
for the new bit depth and it didn't help :(

It's very possible that we are just facing yet another fbcon-is-broken
in 2.6 bug and endian bugs prevent 15/16 bpp console from working
properly.

Ben.