Radeon acceleration with Xfbdev

Eric Anholt eta@lclark.edu
Tue, 02 Dec 2003 00:12:07 -0800

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 23:01, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > > With my new driver ?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > What's wrong ?
> >
> > Colours are wrong in console at 16 bpp, and the acceleration is broken
> > in 565.
> >
> > The colours are right in Xati now (maybe they were only wrong in
> > Xfbdev), but the acceleration is similarly broken in depths 8, 15 and
> > 16.
>
> Hrm... Dunno about accel in Xati (didn't have time to look at it yet)
> but colours look a lot like the palette isn't set properly for the
> given depth.
>
> The fbdev layer won't do it automatically on mode change, fbcon is
> broken in this regard (but 2.6 fbcon imho, despite having a nice
> separation between fbcon and fbdev than 2.4, is functionally broken)
>
> XFree with "UseFBDev" works, so the setting done to the card by
> radeonfb seem fine, and X does set a correct palette for the mode
>
>  .../... a bit later .../...
>
> I've tried adding a hack to my new radeonfb (yet another...) that one
> dept change, in set_par, resets the fb_info->cmap to some sane default
> for the new bit depth and it didn't help :(
>
> It's very possible that we are just facing yet another fbcon-is-broken
> in 2.6 bug and endian bugs prevent 15/16 bpp console from working
> properly.
>
> Ben.

Yeah, colors weren't (still aren't?) getting set right in 8 bit mode I
think.  However, depth 15 and 16 have been great for me, and 16 is what
I use normally.  I have to say, though, my testing of fb has been very
light because I haven't got it set up right for the monitor on the
testbox, and also I frequently get a corrupted screen after exiting the
server (from gdb sometimes).

--
Eric Anholt                                eta@lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt@FreeBSD.org