xserver on OpenGL

David Reveman c99drn@cs.umu.se
Sat, 06 Dec 2003 01:37:02 +0100

--=-Doar8+gsY1ZF5u5hytc2

I don't know much about X server internals so I might be out on a limb
here.

However I'm working on a library currently called 'libglc'. It's a
library which does OpenGL accelerated image compositing and drawing. The
library interface matches the RENDER extension protocol and all
operations are hardware accelerated (pbuffers must be available for
offscreen support). It has a virtualized GL layer backend, GLX being the
only backend currently implemented, however a mesa-solo backend could
probably be implemented without to much fuss.

I just thought that there might be chance it could be useful for getting
a GL xserver running which will accelerate as many things as possible.

Or maybe not. =3D)
Either way it might be worth a look.

libglc source code can be fetched from cairo cvs repository.
http://cvs.cairographics.org
and some more info about the library at:
http://www.cs.umu.se/~c99pnn/thesis

btw, the cairo GL backend is completely based on libglc.

--=20
David Reveman ( c99drn@cs.umu.se )

--=-Doar8+gsY1ZF5u5hytc2

--=-Doar8+gsY1ZF5u5hytc2--