xserver on OpenGL

Jon Smirl jonsmirl@yahoo.com
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 17:22:54 -0800 (PST)

--- Keith Packard <keithp@keithp.com> wrote:
> You might look at the VBE code in kdrive for mode support; it uses VM86
> and runs on most cards.   I suspect it will be easier to use than the
> XFree86 code which has a full x86 emulator built in.  If you'd like help
> in getting that running stand-alone, let me know and I can pitch in a bit.

For development I am running a two card setup. I run X on a PCI Rage128. I use a
Radeon 9000 for my target card.

Rage128 is set as my primary adapter to the BIOS. This means my Radeon 9000 does
not get initialized when my PC boots. Xfree knows how to initialize it as a
secondary adapter, how does XFree do this?

I can do it manually with a small program from Scitech that copies the VBIOS
into RAM and uses  VM86 to call C000:0003. C000:0003 is the boot time
initialization vector. Xfree seems to be initializing the card through some
other mechanism, maybe an Int10 call.

I also disable VT support in my target environment. I have two keyboards/mice. I
set the target to use the secondary keyboard/mice. Now I can run a debugger in X
on my Rage128 while I have a fully capable target system. Is there a better
scheme for doing this?

I'm looking at the kdrive VBE support right now. In the OpenGL model kdrive
doesn't need this code, it would be in a library used by the lower layers.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@yahoo.com