xserver on OpenGL

Kendall Bennett KendallB@scitechsoft.com
Fri, 05 Dec 2003 17:31:13 -0800

Keith Packard <keithp@keithp.com> wrote:

> However, I'm not personally interested in attempting an OpenGL
> server backend without starting from a frame buffer, so I think
> that leaves out the X/DRI environment for me, even for an
> output-only server.  Perhaps others will have more time to start in
> this direction.  I think the end result of either development
> effort would be worthwhile, and perhaps the native-OpenGL even
> better in many ways.

We just finished wrapping up the SNAP DDK today, which includes the
entire DDK source code under GPL. The only GPL drivers are for VGA, VESA,
3dfx and DirectX, but it will allow people to understand what we are
doing. Mesa is fully integrated into the system, although it is software
only at present. The system does have offscreen buffer support for
managing the OpenGL rendering contexts etc, as well as direct framebuffer
access and 2D acceleration functions. Hence an X server using OpenGL
could be built quickly from this environment.

I plan to take a stab at this over the next week or so, but if anyone is
interested in taking a look at the first beta of the DDK, it will show up
on our primary ftp site sometime tonight here (R12 is the new release,
R11 is the old one):

ftp://ftp.scitechsoft.com/devel

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~