pbuffers, extensions to DRM

Keith Whitwell keith@tungstengraphics.com
Sat, 06 Dec 2003 18:25:49 +0000

> Could you provide me with an offical API for getting these items? It's stupid to
> overlay the stats function to conserve IOCTLs.
 >
> DRM_STAT_PCI_VENDOR].value = dev->pdev->vendor;
> DRM_STAT_PCI_DEVICE].value = dev->pdev->device;
> DRM_STAT_PCI_SUB_VENDOR].value = dev->pdev->subsystem_vendor;
> DRM_STAT_PCI_SUB_DEVICE].value = dev->pdev->subsystem_device;
> DRM_STAT_IRQ_NUMBER].value = dev->pdev->irq;
> DRM_STAT_PCI_MMIO_START].value = 0;
> DRM_STAT_PCI_MMIO_LENGTH].value = 0;
> DRM_STAT_PCI_FB_START].value = 0;
> DRM_STAT_PCI_FB_LENGTH].value = 0;

Why not just make a generic GET_INT_PARAM ioctl, and use that?  Or any other
mechanism which you think makes more sense.  I don't have a problem with that,
but post a patch to dri-devel & see if anyone does.  There's no 'official'
body to do this.

> The driver also needs to do pci_enable_deivce and pci_disable_device. The
> version in the kernel tree does this but the one in DRI doesn't. Linus must have
> added it.

Patches to pull kernel changes back are welcome too.  Linus has done this in
the past, but it's unreasonable to assume that he always will.

> Last thing I need is a function for returning a copy of the ROM. This could be
> done generically. The radeon has a bug where the RADEON_MPP_TB_CONFIG register
> needs to be written. This only has to be done once when the driver is loaded.
 >
> It's also not clear to me the X needs to know the IRQ number.

Hasn't Michel been addressing the irq/get-unique() issue?

> Why doesn't the
> DRM module just send a signal on retrace?

I don't really know what code you're referring to here.

Keith