pbuffers, extensions to DRM

Jon Smirl jonsmirl@yahoo.com
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 11:03:14 -0800 (PST)

--- Keith Whitwell <keith@tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> Why not just make a generic GET_INT_PARAM ioctl, and use that?  Or any other
> mechanism which you think makes more sense.  I don't have a problem with that,
>
> but post a patch to dri-devel & see if anyone does.  There's no 'official'
> body to do this.

That was a copy of mail to EricA. Eric has been doing all of the changes to DRM
lately but I haven't heard from him in a while.

Micheal had a thing about conserving generic IOCTLs so we were overloading the
stats function. I think it is better just to use more IOCTLs. Eric has also
built versioning into the DRM interface. This should let us recover some of the
IOCTL numbers that were wasted long ago.

> > It's also not clear to me the X needs to know the IRQ number.
>
> Hasn't Michel been addressing the irq/get-unique() issue?

Eric and I have been addressing get-unique(). As far as I know no one is
addressing IRQ issues. I haven't looked at the IRQ code, but it just seems to me
that user space has no business knowing the IRQ number.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@yahoo.com