User point of view (please simplify!)

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Wed Apr 7 12:32:03 PDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 08:19:15AM +0200, Maurizio Monge wrote:
> When i first used linux i wanted to write a very simple graphic
> program (ie: display an animated julia set), and tried to do it without
> Gtk/Qt/SDL, and i found the thing quite difficult.

In plain Xlib? I'm not surprised you found it difficult.

> I would like to know if there are any plan to change the X api

Well, there's the XCB library:

  http://freedesktop.org/Software/xcb

but this is probably not what you want, because it's supposedly
even _more_ low-level than Xlib :-)

> If so, to use X at its full power will be VERY DIFFICULT,

I guess it depends on what you mean by "full power". If you're using a
toolkit, you're could be limited by what the toolkit allows. To get
the "full" capabilities of X11 you might have to bypass the toolkit
and use Xlib or XCB instead -- but it will probably require more
complex code and of course you'll sacrifice portability to non-X11
backends.

                                                  -Dave Dodge