Problem replaying trace on Mesa 10.1.4

Alexander Monakov amonakov at ispras.ru
Tue May 27 04:44:41 PDT 2014

On Tue, 27 May 2014, io.github.apitrace at io7m.com wrote:

> On Tue, 27 May 2014 15:18:16 +0400 (MSK)
> Alexander Monakov <amonakov at ispras.ru> wrote:
>
> > > 1 1930 glXCreateContextAttribsARB(dpy = 0x7f8a4400b040,
> > > config = 0x7f8a44043de0, share_context = NULL, direct = True,
> > > attrib_list = {GLX_CONTEXT_MAJOR_VERSION_ARB, 4,
> > >                GLX_CONTEXT_MINOR_VERSION_ARB, 4,
> > >                GLX_RENDER_TYPE, 0x8014, GLX_CONTEXT_FLAGS_ARB, 0x0,
> > >                GLX_CONTEXT_PROFILE_MASK_ARB, GLX_CONTEXT_CORE_PROFILE_BIT_ARB,
> > >                0}) = NULL
> >
> > The above asks for a 4.4 core context that is not supported by your underlying
> > OpenGL implementation.  The extension specification says:
>
> I should mention that this is a program written with JOGL:
>
>   http://jogamp.org/jogl
>
> ... which does do the profile "probing" in the manner you've described.
> This part of the program is outside of my control. Essentially, the
> library attempts to see which contexts are available, starting from
> the highest that could possibly be available and working down. I'll
> nudge the main author with this and see what he thinks.

I believe there's no need to bother the JOGL folks; this pattern is fine.

Actually I see why the behavior changed for you; you've probably updated from
apitrace 4.0 to 5.0; 4.0 did not supply the application-requested GL profile
version to the driver: https://github.com/apitrace/apitrace/issues/176

So, disregard what I said about Mesa/Xorg before; the issue and the behavior
change is entirely on apitrace side.  The fix, I believe, would be to make X
protocol errors not fatal in the replayer.

Alexander