[gst-devel] (no subject)

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Fri Jun 11 07:49:05 CEST 2004

Quoting "Amadeus W. Mozart" <amadeus84 at sbcglobal.net>:

> I have some medical clips and I have to do some image segmentation
> and other processing on each individual frame. Usually the clips
> are in quicktime format, and the frames within are jpeg.
> So I need to read the clip from the disk, access each of its frames,
> do my processing and then display the frames. My processing may not
> be real time, but that's not a major concern for now. I can just
> dump the output to a file, and display it afterwards.
>
> I'm new to gstreamer, and after reading what it can do and trying
> out some of the examples, I liked the idea, but I don't know very
> well how to go about it. In particular, how do I "steal" (or access)
> the individual frames from the clip?

It sounds like what you want to do is write an element. There already exist
plugins that do stuff to/with the pipeline, like the effecTV plugins. You might
want to try gst-launch videotestsrc ! warpTV ! ximagesink and compare that with
gst-launch videotestsrc ! ximagesink to see how easily you can modify images by
inserting elements.
There is a lot of simple elements inside gst-plugins that use the
GstVideoFilter code to modify images. (the timeoverlay plugin comes to mind,
too.)
Decoding and later storing those images should be pretty easy, too and just
depend on getting the corect pipeline going.

> The only video pipeline that I was able to get working so far was
>
> gst-launch videotestsrc ! sdlvideosink

You should definitely play around a bit with gst-launch to get a feel for what
is possible and how the whole framework works. Being fluid in gst-launch syntax
also helps when talking to us developers and trying to make as reproduce
interesting things (most often bugs people stumble onto).

Benjamin