Creative MP3+

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Feb 9 08:04:22 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 14:17 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> We need to be able to subscribe to events if sound cards are appearing
> or disappearing on the system. This information is only available as
> hotplug events, if you don't want to poll for it.
> So at least minimal support with classification that the actual hardware
> is a sound card is needed in HAL.

Right, for Fedora we're also thinking of using such events (via
callouts) to enforce policy, using pam_console, instead of the
dreadful /etc/security/console.perms file that relies on the name of the
device node. Much like the policy properties we have for determining
whether something should be added to the /etc/fstab file etc.

> But for nice application support we will need something that can present
> virtual audio devices e.g. network-audio or the alsa-lib created virtual
> ones too, so that an audio player can present a nice selection list of
> _all_ available devices and not only the real hardware. Something like a
> MultimediaManager.

Right, would be nice - definitely outside the scope of this project
though :-)

Cheers,
David