Ideas. Soundcard suport in HAL

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun Feb 27 15:21:17 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 22:50 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
>I've been playing with HAL and soundcards. I've added methods into
>classdev.c and want to create a prober too, that picks up the data from
>/proc/asound/cardX/pcmXc/info and populates the objects with the new data.

You only need a prober if you access the device (e.g. through a device
file) - in general most of the stuff in /proc and /sys just represent
in-kernel memory structures.

>Before I go any further, I would like to ask for comments for the spec:
>
>alsa namespace:

OK

>stream=[string]capture|playback|other
> The stream direction of the device.
>card=[int]
> Card number in system as registered by ALSA
>device=[int]
> Device number assigned by ALSA for the current card
>id=[string]
> The ALSA ID used to represent the device.

Also need alsa.physical_device that contains the UDI of the physical
device (e.g. info.parent) - see the other code in hald/linux2/classdev.c

>These are just rough notes, feel free to add remove as you feel.

I don't think we'll need a huge thread about this - just send the patch
and we'll take it from there :-)

>Richard.
>
>p.s. What was decided about pnp.ids? I have a couple I want to add.

Send a patch against hald/linux2/ids.c.

Cheers,
David