s2both

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Mon Mar 12 15:58:16 PDT 2007

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:10:02 -0400
David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 17:37 -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 15:52 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> >
> > > Peter, is this something you can look at / comment on?
> >
> > Well, for this to work, we need the kernel to write out the data to the
> > swap file without powering the machine off.  This may be something we
> > can make the "test" support in /sys/power/disk, but that's really not
> > optimal, because a) it would actually mean putting all the devices to
> > sleep, waking them back up, and putting them to sleep again, and b)
> > there's a 5 second wait in the middle.

> That's a cryptic answer but, then again, I wasn't really clear with my
> questions. I'll try again:

Maybe I shouldn't try to guess Peters meaning, but maybe he was trying
to think out an implementation of pm-is-supported. Indeed how thorough
should this check of `is supported' be, is an interesting question.
Really suspending devices and trying to write to swap for hibernate for
example seems a bit overkill to me...
But checking if the configured swap partition / file exist seems sane.
For uswsusp checking if the device node which is used for communication
with kernel is available is another.
For the rest I think we can assume things will work.

grts Tim