DeviceKit-power patches

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 07:39:53 PDT 2008

Hi Richard, David and the list,

pleased to see you back on this subject, Richard ;-)

2008/6/23 Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com>:
> David,
>
> I've got a ton of bugfixes and new functionality for DeviceKit-power --
> are you going to split the hal and DeviceKit lists sometime soon or
> should I submit my patches to the HAL mailing list?
>
> I would really like to help co-maintain this, as a lot of the time
> correlation code from g-p-m can be pushed lower into DK-power and the
> physical->logical mapping (when we have multiple laptop batteries or
> UPS's) can also be done much better at this level.
>
> This can make g-p-m a really small and lightweight applet, rather than
> the complex thing it is today.

I've also started to audit DK-p, and have some feedback.
The most important is that I find the variable naming to be unclear
and not suitable for expansion. For example, changing "charge" to
"energy" is not a good thing.

Moreover, before going further, I would like that we (HAL/DK-p, GPM,
NUT, ...) discuss the variable naming, and more generally the scope of
DK-p.

For the variable naming, I would like to propose a draft,
merging/modifying/extending the base from the current HAL battery /
ac_adaptor collections and NUT variables [1].

My general idea (already exposed iirc) is to promote a "Power Module"
notion, composed of one or more power component (battery, input,
output, outlet, ...). This would allow a clean handling of laptop
batteries, UPSs, smart outlets, ... in a generic way.
There is also a notion of power chain (imagine a UPS powering a smart
strip, with some boxes and peripherals ; managed smartly, like
powering on a printer on demand...), with a Power Module hierarchy...

So, David, same question: is it the right place to talk about that?

Arnaud
--
[1] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/nut/trunk/docs/new-names.txt?op=file&rev=0&sc=0