[immodule-qt] Re: language() and error handling (Re: Question about svn trunk)

Lars Knoll lars at trolltech.com
Mon Aug 2 09:57:38 EEST 2004

On Sunday 01 August 2004 03:28, YamaKen wrote:
> Hi Daisuke,
>
> At Sun, 01 Aug 2004 02:19:02 +0900,
>
> kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp wrote:
> > YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:
> > > You had said that some feature is impossible to be implemented
> > > on current API, but I can't understand what is impossible. Tell
> > > me what is impossible using actual example.
> >
> > I meant "external IM-switcher panel not using QMultiInputContext but
> > using IPC" as "external IM-switcher panel using IPC which is not use
> > a subclass of QMultiInputContext"
> >
> > For example, the function of IPC is directly implemented in Qt Library.
> >
> > And I agree with your following opinions written to former mail.

> Hmm, perhaps you had said that "IM-switching based on an IPC
> message that tightly integrated in Qt (such as XEvent, as you
> said before) is impossible, but it is bad way. We should go to
> the pluggable way". Is it right?
>
> I had misunderstood your opinion as "There is an unsatisfied
> requirement, but current API is an acceptable compromise".
>

> note 1:
> Inheriting QMultiInputContext is not required to implement an
> IM-switcher plugin. QMultiInputContext is just a ordinary
> plugin, so we can implement another one from scratch.
>
> note 2:
> An IM-switching plugin based on XEvent can be implemented using
> QInputContext::x11FilterEvent().

Is this switching supposed to happen globally for the whole desktop or for the
application that currently has the focus only? Both lead to different
approaches as how one could implement the IM switching.

A global switching could be implemented using an XChangeProperty on the root
window (that's what KDE currently uses for things as the style change
notification). If the switching is only supposed to affect the current focus
application we need some more sophisiticated solution.

I would also prefer if we can try to get the same switching mechanism
implemented in both Gnome and KDE/Qt, so that all applications will work with
the same and you only need one switching application.

Lars