[immodule-qt] potential issue of the latest patch

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Sun Aug 15 03:26:27 EEST 2004

At Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:59:59 +0000,
liucougar at gmail.com wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:03:49 +0900, YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:
> > > It seems to me that no matter whether a inputcontextplugin is needed,
> > > it will always be loaded at each app startup.
> > >
> > > I think although this issue does not do any harm, but it really makes
> > > the startup process longer and it is not so efficient.
> > >
> > > What's your opinion?
> >
> > It's a debug message from QUimInputContext. immodule itself does
> > nothing about it.
> I know. However, I do not think the plugin should be loaded at this
> scenorio at all: I didn't specified it as the immodule, it should not
> be loaded. Don't you think so?

I've seen what you want.

Accurately, such unwanted plugin loading happens only when
imsw-multi is specified as IM-switcher. Our immodule framework
itself doesn't load unspecified plugins. See the difference of
following two commands.

QT_IM_SWITCHER=imsw-multi QT_IM_MODULE=simple examples/textedit/textedit
QT_IM_SWITCHER=imsw-none QT_IM_MODULE=simple examples/textedit/textedit

Although the plugin loading is unnecessary for users, imsw-multi
requires loading all plugins to construct the popup menu. See
QMultiInputContext::createImSelPopup(). I think that there is no
way to avoid this plugin loading.

> > I think that it should be suppressed in accordance with
> > debugging option. Wait for the modification.
> The message itself is not annoying, but I only want to point out the
> potential issue about the implementation of qt immodule.

Since QInputContextFactory::create() is not called until
actually chosen by user, some initialization and context
creation can be avoided by plugin implementation. For example, a
plugin that multiplexes several input methods as IM-framework
can defer loading and initializing of each input method until
actually chosen by user (i.e. lazy initialization).

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp