[Intel-gfx] [RFC] drm/i915: Add sync framework support to execbuff IOCTL

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon Jul 6 08:12:02 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 03:46:49PM +0100, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:

> On 07/06/2015 03:26 PM, John Harrison wrote:

> >>Userspace can exhaust kernel allocations, that's nothing new. And if we
> >>keep it userspace simply needs to leak a few more fence fds than if
> >>there's a bit more data attached to it.
> >>
> >>The solution to this problem is to have a mem cgroup limit set. No
> >>need to
> >>complicate our kernel code.
> >
> >There is still the extra complication that request unreferencing cannot
> >require any kind of mutex lock if we are allowing it to happen from
> >outside of the driver. That means the unreference callback must move the
> >request to a 'please clean me later' list, schedule a worker thread to
> >run, and thus do the clean up asynchronously.
>
> For this particular issue my solution was to extend the sync_fence
> constructor to take a mutex and store it inside the object. Then at
> destruction time, which happens at sync_fd->f_ops->release() time, it is
> just a matter of calling kref_put_mutex instead of kref_put.
>
> Seemed to work under some quick testing but that is as much as I did back
> then.

The problem is that it doesn't scale since everyone wants some other kind
of mutex to serialize the final kref_put. If something is supposed to be
cross-subsystem/driver (which is the case for fences) then we really can't
do that kind of leaky locking design. Imo we should have a kref_put_mutex
considered harmful sign somewhere ...

If you have weak references somewhere and need to prevent the object from
disappearing untimely while chasing that weak reference then imo the
better design pattern is to use kref_get_unless_zero. If you need the
serialization the mutex provides for some other reason (someone is only
hodling the mutex instead of grabbing a proper refernce when they really
should grab one) then your refcounting scheme probably needs another kind
of fixup patch.
-Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
http://blog.ffwll.ch