[Libdlo] Displaylink Drivers

Christoph Rissner c.r at visotech.at
Wed Jan 20 01:14:49 PST 2010

>   >  ...
>> show up on my external USB display, but I cannot get an X server to
>> recognize my second display.  I am running Arch linux.  More
>> information can be seen on my post here:
>> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=88831

Ok, so I couldn't wait and upgraded to 2.6.32 and xorg 1.7 using
xf86-video-displaylink-0.3 from
http://libdlo.freedesktop.org/wiki/xf86-driver-displaylink.
To compile xf86-video-displaylink with xorg 1.7 I found a patch in the
gentoo x11 overlay
(http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/x11.git;a=blob;f=x11-drivers/xf86-video-displaylink/files/xf86-video-displaylink-0.3-xorg-abi-fix.patch;h=df8e1db5cdcf0cceca7c6a303e8e44ac2ca506fe;hb=HEAD).

The staging udlfb module loads and inits the displaylink monitor
correctly using 1280x1024 resolution but the X server is not using that
monitor.
I found the same lines in the X log (full log attached):

--%<------------------------------
(II) LoadModule: "displaylink"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/displaylink_drv.so
(II) Module displaylink: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
         compiled for 1.7.3.902, module version = 0.0.1
         ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) DL: driver for : displaylink
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for displaylink
(II) UnloadModule: "displaylink"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/displaylink_drv.so
--%<------------------------------

Joseph found out that it works using the displaylink as primary monitor,
so I changed my ServerLayout, that brought me back to the X server
crashing because my displaylink device cannot read EDID data.
--%<------------------------------
DL(1): Unknown EDID version 0
--%<------------------------------

Since I already know about that I went back and used the udlfb-0.2.3
(also provided at
http://libdlo.freedesktop.org/wiki/xf86-driver-displaylink) with my
patch to hardcode the EDID data.

Et voila, X starts up again using both the nvidia and displaylink devices.

Note: I am now using libxinerama 1.1 together with nvidia 173.14.22. The
xinerama vs. TwinView issue persists, by default the TwinView screens
are not reported correctly. I end up with 2 xinerama screens, 1 for the
displaylink device and another 1 combining the 2 montitors attached to
the nvidia card.
My old patch for libxinerama 1.0 still works, I hardcode the screen info
to report 3 equally sized screens.

Bye,
Christoph