[Libreoffice] [GSoC 2011][svgexport] weekly report #9

Marco mrcekets at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 04:43:20 PDT 2011

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 15:35:27 +0200, Thorsten Behrens
<thb at documentfoundation.org> wrote:

Hi Thorsten,
welcome back! :)

> Marco wrote:

skip

>> == 2 ==
>> For each slide all animations are exported into the svg document:
>> the exported animation elements are the same that are created by
>> the odp format exporter.
>>
> Interesting - but maybe easier to have some pre-processed subset
> first?

Well surely I chose the hard way, but indeed after seeing how
animations are exported in odp, it looks to me the more natural
one.
Not sure what you mean with "to have some pre-processed subset"
could you elaborate ?

>> == 3 ==
>> Read SMIL documentation section on transition filters.
>> In order to understand how to implement the javascript code for
>> performing the exported animations, I started analyzing the slideshow
>> animation engine.
>>
> Hmm - I guess re-implementing larger parts of the animation engine
> in JS is out of scope for this project (though of course would be
> cool to have) - maybe limiting ourselves to what smil is natively
> supported in a browser (e.g.
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/svg/svg_animation_with_smil) is
> better?

What I am aiming to do is to perform a selective port of the
slideshow engine to JavaScript. I'm still analyzing the animation
engine implementation though, and I have to admit that is not a
smooth path.
Obviously the benefits would worth the effort, making a strong
base for being able to implement the shape effects more easily.
For instance I have already a good idea of how to port animation
node classes, but then there is the need for events and activities
too.

As for exploiting the smil-subset supported by the svg language,
I took it into account, anyhow after performing some test I saw
that support for it is lacking in Firefox 3.6.x and above all in
Internet Explorer 9, and also Google Chrome have same issue.

>> I attached a patch set based on the master branch, as it was on
>> Monday July 7, that includes all enhancements I implemented until now.
>>
> Thx a lot, will look into this - please give me a day or two, just
> back from vacation. ;)

No problem! :)

Cheers,
      Marco