[Nouveau] Need help getting nouveau drivers working on Fedora 13

Younes Manton younes.m at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 17:44:03 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
> On 06/11/2010 05:10 PM, Younes Manton wrote:
>>
>> Hi. When you say you reinstalled Xorg without mesa packages, I'm
>> assuming you mean that you didn't install the nouveau mesa driver? If
>> so it sounds like you're trying to run compiz with the software
>> rasterizer. Not sure if/how that works, last I heard it didn't. Either
>> way, can you try without compiz? If you still have problems please
>> attach a kernel log (the output of dmesg) and an Xorg log.
>
> I did try installing the mesa experimental drivers, but they just gave me a
> broken screen that wasn't usable.  What packages should I install?  Also,
> how do I deactivate compiz?

That depends on your desktop environment. On Gnome it's something like
System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
> On 06/11/2010 05:10 PM, Younes Manton wrote:
>>
>> Hi. When you say you reinstalled Xorg without mesa packages, I'm
>> assuming you mean that you didn't install the nouveau mesa driver?
>
> A little update: checking, I have mesa-dri-drivers.i686 installed,but not
> the experimental.

I don't use Fedora but I think that means you don't have the nouveau
mesa drivers. I suggest you disable compiz first anyway. If it works
at least you know the non-mesa part of the driver works. If it doesn't
work it will be easier to debug if the mesa driver is out of the
picture.