[OpenFontLibrary] hinting workflow

Barry Schwartz chemoelectric at chemoelectric.org
Wed Jun 30 16:13:13 PDT 2010

Eric Schrijver <eric at authoritism.net> skribis:
> Well, I guess we can take heart in the increasing dpi of hand-held
> devices.
> That should trickle to desktop displays

I'm not too hopeful about that removing the problem, given that I can
easily change the rendering of my laser printer by fiddling with the
PostScript hints.

When I started collecting fountain pens (before making fonts), I
learned quickly that a particular pen, adjusted (hinted?) in a
particular way, filled with a particular ink, and writing on a
particular paper is always a unique (and usually disappointing)
combination.