[Openicc] Color management in gimp

Stefan Döhla color at doehla.de
Mon Apr 4 20:17:06 EST 2005

>So do you think the color management should be implemented at kernel level
>or at least as a system module.
>But ¿How the several graphic systems we use will manage it? ¿Doing new
>"systems calls" for the color management system? ¿Or implement a CM system
>in each of the graphic libraries?

Definetely not kernel level - but everything else is possible (though
not necessarily practical).
Since there is a working group at ICC to define cross-cm, it's probably
a good idea to collect
ideas, how it can be done for Linux and similar systems. Since Linux is
not monolithic at all -
many different libraries and programs that don't know about each other -
a central point
where everything is put together, would be one of  the many solutions.

>I do not thinks to implement the CM in gimp is so difficult. LitleCMS runs
>fine. To get a first practical gimp only need to insert one code line in the
>C function where Gimp writes the pixels in the screen and the same line
>where the gimp writes the image file (if we want to convert the image from
>one space to another) .
>A second stage could be a more powerfull CM.

Writing Pixels color-managed on the screen is already part of Gimp. For
implementation
details, the gimp-developer mailing list is probably the better location.
A local Gimp-CMM is the right way to go until a system-wide (and
portable - Gimp
does not only work under Linux) color management system is on the way.
This has
limitations and cannot be as "professional" as other exisiting programs
, but at least it's a
starting point and sufficient for the standard user.

Stefan
--
Stefan Döhla
mailto:color at doehla.de