[Openicc] Do we want /usr/local/share/color/icc as a third profile directory ?

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sat Nov 26 10:57:55 PST 2005

A specific example from a past thread in this list may raise some other issues
related to this.  A while back there was a very long thread about printing
systems that included information about the beta version of CUPS (1.2.x).
This version of CUPS will handle a color space transformation to a printer
color space using a profile passed in by the calling application.  For
security reasons CUPS 1.2.x will only use profiles that are located in the
CUPS directory.  Actually it only requires that these be logically in the
CUPS directory since it will allow these files to be in a linked location.
But that is really beside the point since to use the CM stuff in CUPS the
users application needs to pass CUPS a printer profile that is either
physically or logically located in the CUPS directory structure.

If something like oyranos is used to catalog and manage profiles when a user
application requests a printer profile that will be passed to CUPS oyranos
will have to pass back the path/file name of a profile that is located in the
CUPS directory structure.  So this is more complex than two vs. three profile
directories.  IE. /usr/share/color/icc and ~/.color/icc
vs. /usr/share/color/icc, /usr/local/share/color/icc and ~/.color/icc.