[Openicc] Do we want /usr/local/share/color/icc as a third profile directory ?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Nov 26 11:33:25 PST 2005

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> A specific example from a past thread in this list may raise some other issues
> related to this.  A while back there was a very long thread about printing
> systems that included information about the beta version of CUPS (1.2.x).
> This version of CUPS will handle a color space transformation to a printer
> color space using a profile passed in by the calling application.  For
> security reasons CUPS 1.2.x will only use profiles that are located in the
> CUPS directory.  Actually it only requires that these be logically in the
> CUPS directory since it will allow these files to be in a linked location.
> But that is really beside the point since to use the CM stuff in CUPS the
> users application needs to pass CUPS a printer profile that is either
> physically or logically located in the CUPS directory structure.

The CUPS issue is quite interesting.  Normally printing is either
handled on the local system, or the job is spooled (without
processing) to some other system which takes care of printing details.
It may be that CUPS will be delivered as a component of some printers.

The process that initiates the printing knows about the document
colors, but it may not have access to information on the printer.  It
may not know about the printers which are available, or it may be
printed by a different organization entirely.  So any necessary
profiles which describe the document to be printed must be bundled up
with the print job.  The print server may then apply these profiles
before sending the data to the printer, or the print server may
forward the job yet again, and the printer itself applies the
profiles.

In a large organization, it is likely that any profiles which describe
printers will be located on a network share.  Or maybe they won't be
shared at all and only the underlying printing system actually knows
about the properties of the printer.

If CUPS is worried about security, then ordinary users can not be
allowed to update the CUPS profile directory, and CUPS may not trust
profiles which are attached to print jobs.  This seems self-defeating
to me.

Bob