[Openicc] mixed colour space documents

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Nov 28 10:20:44 PST 2005

On Nov 28, 2005, at 10:21 AM, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> I agree for display flatten to the monitor color space should be
> default.  I
> don't see any advantage to flattening to sRGB or Editing space
> since it will
> have to be transformed again to the monitor color space before it
> can be
> displayed.  Doing two color space conversions only adds overhead.

It really doesn't matter, there will be conversions at some point
regardless. Depending on the platform, the display profile can be
worse off in accuracy than just assuming it was sRGB without
conversion when producing the PDF. So really to do the right thing,
you'd need to set up a heuristic model to ask some questions about
the current system, and if the current display profile is even
remotely representative of display behavior. If it isn't, tagging
with a bogus display profile or converting to sRGB using a bogus
display profile as source is going to produce a tagged file with
bogus color information in it.

The advantage of normalizing to sRGB is that merely tagging doesn't
guarantee a reader is going to honor the tag. But if the content is
sRGB and the sRGB tag is ignored by the reader, chances are it will
still display halfway decent compared to being in some candy ass
display space.

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
www.colorremedies.com/realworldcolor