[Openicc] [Fwd: icm profiles in debian]

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 12:44:11 PST 2013

Actually, if they differ then it is not the same profile.

 I am not happy with this whole story; my impression is we have a real
design issue here, which is partly a result of defensive licensing in the
industry, and partly a result of the colord design.

 sRGB is the most important profile in the whole system, because we are
basically following Apple's lead and assuming untagged as sRGB, which has
consequences both for color management AND system UI design.

 In particular, if at some point in the future widegamut displays replace
today's sRGB monitors, then all the controls and explanatory graphics in
the window decorations will need to be converted into the widegamut before
they get displayed, or else the user will have the impression of Times
Square by night.

 sRGB, now that we have decided to adopt it is a core profile, and a very
privileged one.

 My suggestion is we change the color system so as to be able to designate
some profiles once and for all as core profiles.  I don't think random
distributions or indeed users should be required or allowed to swap it out
easily as it defines the *metrics* of color on our system. Physicists don't
swap out the meter or kilogram for licensing reasons either.

 My proposal is take this whole matter to the ICC which exists precisely
for this reason, and ask our colleagues for technical and suggestions to
solve the problem of implementing core profiles in operating systems. We
cannot allow "profile contents of the day" and "profile name of the day"to
become the epitaph of Linux color management.

Edmund