[Portland] kbuildsycoca and xdg-utils

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Aug 9 05:39:42 PDT 2006

On Monday 07 August 2006 20:08, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> KDE should pick up the menu changes fairly quickly anyway. xdg-mime runs
> it because it affects the result of a subsequent xdg-mime query or
> xdg-open.

 Fairly quickly in this case depends on the definition, which needs to be
probably rather loose in the case of not using inotify and having a somewhat
slower machine. Do you want to bet how many bugreports will we[*] get from
users who run install-fooapp (which installs fooapp and as the very last step
installs the menu entries) and immediately after it's done will try to find
fooapp in the K-Menu and will have trouble with it, because it'll need some
time to show up?

[*] "we" meaning both KDE and xdg-utils getting their share, probably

 And while it's not that kbuildsycoca definitely has to be run, it'd just be
very nice if it would. And if it can be done, and I hope my answers below
solve your issues, why not avoid the possibility of the problem for a vast
majority of the cases?

> The grep /etc/passwd in scripts.patch doesn't seem reliable to me. I
> don't think there is a guarantee that the current user is listed in
> there if accounts are stored in LDAP or so, is there?

 Hmm, I knew it wouldn't be so simple, it's rather stupid of su to completely
discard the value of $HOME :(. But it could be simply tested if the value of
$HOME is found in /etc/passwd and not do anything otherwise, just having it
the same way it's now.

> I'm also worried that these sudo calls can lead to password prompts.

 They are already called from sudo, so it should be sudo from root to another
user. I don't think su or sudo ever need a password for the from-root case. I
could make an explicit check for $UID being 0 in the sudo case though.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org