[Portland] Separate list for bugzilla posts?

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Wed Aug 9 17:28:29 PDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 11:24:10AM +1200, Glynn Foster wrote:

> Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> >> I'm getting to this late, but what's wrong with the watch mechanism
> > already
> >> available on bugzilla? Seems like that's more appropriate than creating
> >> another mailing list.
> >
> > Where would you turn that on? I clicked around for 5 minutes on
> > bugs.freedesktop.org but couldn't find an obvious place to add a watch
> > to anything.
>
> This may be specific to bugzilla.gnome.org, but under your email preferences,
> you can add a 'users to watch'. We have a set of product-maint aliases that you
> can add, meaning you have the opportunity to watch all changes to a given product.
>
> bugs.freedesktop.org may not have that functionality - I'd highly recommend it.

There is a form for controlling this - its under your user preferences.
I had played around with it a bit, before I noticed the bug messages
were coming via the main list and couldn't be turned off that way.

If it does indeed work, that might be an ok solution for many people; it
appears to give much finer control over which messages you get than
you'd have with a mailing list.  On the other hand, forwarding to an
email list has some advantages like archiving and ease of setup.
I figure a mailing list is easy enough to set up, and then we all gain
the flexibility of selecting whatever approach suits our druthers.

Bryce