[pulseaudio-discuss] Documentation on the wire protocol for native-protocol-tcp?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Apr 5 08:02:29 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and david.hagood at gmail.com at 05/04/10 15:52 did gyre and
gimble:
> I'm trying to find documentation on the wire protocol that the
> native-protocol-tcp uses, but haven't found it yet. Yes, I could Use The
> Source, but reverse-engineering the wire protocol from that vs. reading an
> already written definition of a protocol is not an efficient use of my
> time.
>
> And we all know that all Free software projects have excellent and
> complete documentation, right ;) ?

Sure, of course they do.... it's also sometimes referred to as "the code" :p

> If there is such documentation I'd appreciate a link, if not, then I'd
> like to know if the wire protocol is sufficiently fixed to make working
> out the wire protocol make sense.

AFAIK, no such docs exists (please correct me if I'm wrong!). It's
generally backwards compatible (e.g. it has a version and newer versions
sometimes add additional data into various calls and returns).

> My need is that I have a signal processing hardware module that:
> 1) Makes audio
> 2) Accepts audio
> 3) Can speak TCP
> 4) I'd like to tie into a Pulseaudio server.
> 5) would be inconvenient to load all of Pulseaudio on.
>
> So if I could get the wire protocol it would not be hard to generate that.

I'm afraid the source is the best, erm, source for this info (AFAIK, as
I mentioned above).

Not the best reply I appreciate :s Maybe someone will have better/more
accurate info.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]