[pulseaudio-discuss] Can't subscribe? | PulseAudio sink/loopback question

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Thu Feb 11 14:01:08 CET 2016

(I found this from the moderation queue.)

On Mon, 2016-02-08 at 19:12 +0000, J Copse wrote:
> I seem to be unable to get the captcha to load on the subscription
> page. pulseaudio-discuss Info Page

The info page now says "We're trying to fix this; spammers are abusing
the machine" where the captcha should appear. So nobody can currently
subscribe to freedesktop lists? I hope this gets fixed soon.

> My other question is about the settings that can be applied to a
> sink/loopback module. Google doesn't seem to indicate that there are
> any settings related to delay/latency other than latency_msec=
>
> With JACK, there was a configuration setting for "frames/period" that
> I changed in order to fix choppy/skipping audio playback when routing
> audio. Is there no way to set something like that in PulseAudio?
> Related: Here's my post on Ask Ubuntu (which, sadly, has only gotten
> 6 views): https://askubuntu.com/questions/728378/pactl-loopback-and-s
> ink-for-mic-vlc-with-low-cpu-load-latency-settings?noredirect=1#
>
> The latency_msec setting helps, but I'm wondering if there's any
> other way that I could further reduce the amount of CPU used.

latency_msec seems like the best knob to adjust when it comes to CPU
load. You can also try changing the "resample-method" option in
/etc/pulse/daemon.conf. See "man pulse-daemon.conf" for documentation
about that option.

Do you still have two virtual sinks and three loopbacks? In the "Ask
Ubuntu" question you mentioned this set of commands:

pactl load-module module-null-sink sink_name=Virtual1
pactl load-module module-null-sink sink_name=Virtual2
pactl load-module module-loopback sink=Virtual1
pactl load-module module-loopback sink=Virtual1
pactl load-module module-loopback sink=Virtual2

I don't quite understand what each of those is supposed to do. This is
the setup I would propose:

pactl load-module module-null-sink sink_name=null
pactl load-module module-loopback source=usb_mic sink=null
pactl load-module module-combine-sink sink_name=combined slaves=null,sound_card_out

Replace "usb_mic" with the actual USB mic source name and
"sound_card_out" with the actual sound card sink name (you can see the
names in "pactl list sources" and "pactl list sinks" output).

Then use "null.monitor" as the recording device in Audacity and
"combined" as the playback device in VLC.