Differences to XFree86

Egbert Eich release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 14:11:36 +0100

Alan Coopersmith writes:

 > I've gone through all the diffs I sent out last week.  The changes mainly
 > fall into three categories:
 > 	1) UTF-8 support
 > 	2) IPv6 support
 > 	3) typo & formatting fixes
 >
 > I see no reason to worry about the typo/formatting fixes so am leaving alone
 > for now those changes since they don't affect the substance of any specs.
 >
 > For the rest of the changes, I've split them each out and filed bugzilla
 > entries for them - you can view the list at:
 >     http://freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/bugzilla/showdependencytree.cgi?id=257
 > (No, I can't explain why I marked IPv6 as an enhancement but UTF-8 as a bug.)
OK, so the UTF-8 changes should definitely go in. That makes a lot of
sense. I would think the typo and formatiing fixes are also non-controversial
and thus can be committed, too. Any 'hardcopy' PS version should also be
updated, I have noticed that this hasn't always been done in the past.

 > Should we assume the IPv6 changes will be formally approved by the time the
 > monolithic tree ships?  What about the UTF-8 changes?

We should have a quick decision on this one. I will stick in the UTF8
changes already and wait with the IPv6 changes.

 > Is "X11R6.7" the correct name for the version of the X11 Protocol and Library
 > standards that will be shipping in this release?
 >
 > Also, what about the list of standards docs listed in the Standards man page?
 > http://pdx.freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/xc/doc/man/general/Standards.man?rev=1.1.4.1&cvsroot=xorg&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
 >
 > Should the PEX & XIE specs be purged from the standards & draft standards list?

We have dropped PEX and XIE from the tree. This decision has been made
by XFree86 shortly after 4.3 came out and it was briefly discussed on
the Xorg list. No objections have been raised.
Therefore it would only make sense to drop them from the standard specs, too.

Egbert.