[SCIM] help: scim 0.9.3 on whitebox linux

Klaus Weidenbach Klaus.Weidenbach at gmx.net
Mon Apr 12 01:12:17 PDT 2004

Hello,

I think you have forgotten to set the LC_CTYPE and XMODIFIERS variables.
Without them it cannot work. You can test it if you type in a xterm these
two:
export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN
For the LC_CTYPE you have to choose your language setting, if you want to use
the Japanese Input Methods you need to set it ja_JP or they will not be shown
in scim. SCIM will then only work for programs that you start with this
xterm!!! If you want to activate SCIM generally for your PC, for all users
and all WM you need to set these two variables in the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.
But here every Linux distribution has it's own way and I don't know whitebox.
I have Slackware Linux and I have found many ways for different situations.
Like for me it didn't worked in the xinitrc when I used a KDM or GDM. Then I
had to add these to Xsession when I remember right, but not so sure anymore.
Well, but at the end I have found the best way for me to set SCIM for only
some special users and with different langues in creating a '.profile' file
in the users home. This was how it worked for my situation best, but I dunno
if it is allright, or bad practice or something like that. ;o)
- --- paste ~/.profile ---
# sets the locate to simplified chinese
export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN
# sets SCIM as the Input Method
export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
# starting the scim daemon
scim -d
- --- pasted ---

This is also explained in the documentation and also on the homepage ;)) Well,
I cannot read it, but there also exists a User Manual in Chinese language,
where it seems to be explained quite good. Maybe it can help you more than it
helped me. *g*

> I use scim 0.9.3 on whitebox linux 3.0.
>
> I downloaded and installed scim-0.9.3-1.i586.rpm &
> scim-chinese-0.2.7-1.i586.rpm.
>
> Installation seem ok,run "scim -d" seem ok too.
> I can see the scim-panel-gtk icon.
> But when press control+blank nothing happen.
> No Chinese input.

Regards,
Klaus

- --