[SCIM] SCIM on kde does not work with firefox

Rachel Kronick rachel_kronick at jiawen.net
Sat Nov 13 11:31:09 PST 2004

HI all,

I found this solution on the Linux Format forums at
<http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file=index&action=viewtopic&topic=10062&forum=1&8>:

> as the rpm fox wasnt working at its best - some extensions didnt do what they were supposed to, "find" tool wanst working, etc- i managed to search about SCIM, which is the service thats bothering us. in order to install firefox, open a terminal and type:
>
>     code:
>
> scim -f x11 -c simple -ns socket -d
> export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
> export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
> export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
>

> then, launch firefox-installer
>
> as youll need to type those instructions everytime you want to open firefox, the best thing to do, i guess, is adding then to the firefox script which launches the browser. just open "firefox" (shell script) with a text editor and copy paste them.
>
> anyway, i'd be so much thankful if anyone could explain me properly what those commands do. i know they work, dont know why.
>
> cheers

Does that help? It has allowed me to use SCIM with Firefox under
Mandrake 10.1. However, it's not a very elegant fix. James, do you know
anything about this? Is there a way to make SCIM work more easily with
Firefox and other apps?

Thanks!

-- Rachel Kronick