[SCIM] skim and Fedora Core 2

Roland Wolters wolters.liste at gmx.net
Tue Sep 21 18:56:50 UTC 2004

Once upon a time Jan Hefti wrote:
> Hi Roland,
>
> >Some words to your german HowTo:
> >Newbies would not know what to do with
> >export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
> >
> >I solved it in a KDE 3.3 way:
> >
> >$ cat .kde/env/skimvariable.sh
> >#!/bin/sh
> >export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
> >
> >And for Fedora users there is no .alias, I added the alias-string to
> >the .bashrc.
>
> Thanks for the advice - the howto would certainly be better if it could
> be used on more than one distribution, so I will look into that.

Well, the important thing is that this solution is distribution-independent!
It only depends on KDE >= 3.3 cause with this version there came the .kde/env
direcotry first time.

> >And a last question abou the working skim: wenn I start an application
> > with "CN kwrite" (for example), then the whole Menu of the application
> > comes up with a fixed font which can not display ö and ä but which can
> > display ü - is that normal? I get no error message in the konsole...
>
> No, that is not normal. It sounds as if you are using a Chinese font
> instead of a font (or a collection of fonts - have a look at
> http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/kde-font-setup.html ) capable of
> displaying a larger range of Unicode characters. Apart from changing
> your font, another way to solve your problem is to change
>
> alias CN='LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"'

> alias CN='LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"'
>
> You can also have a look at "Dialog: SCIM Globale Einstellungen" in the
> online help of skim or my howto for a way to use skim without changing
> your locale.

I played around with qtconfig and replaced the line in .bashrc - but nothing
worked, I still have a very bad font:
http://www.personal.uni-jena.de/~p1woro/screenshots/20040921-kwrite-skim-screenshot.png
(112 kb !)

I do not know enough about these things, but for me it seems that my standard
chinese font has just view and only fixed latin charakters. Can I change this
somewhere?
Btw.: I've never changed my local:

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/i18n
LANG="de_DE.UTF-8"