[SCIM] skim and Fedora Core 2

Jan Hefti j.hefti at hamburg.de
Tue Sep 21 17:11:39 UTC 2004

Roland Wolters wrote:

>>>And a last question abou the working skim: wenn I start an application
>>>with "CN kwrite" (for example), then the whole Menu of the application
>>>comes up with a fixed font which can not display ö and ä but which can
>>>display ü - is that normal? I get no error message in the konsole...
>>>

>>No, that is not normal. It sounds as if you are using a Chinese font
>>instead of a font (or a collection of fonts - have a look at
>>http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/kde-font-setup.html ) capable of
>>displaying a larger range of Unicode characters. Apart from changing
>>your font, another way to solve your problem is to change
>>
>>alias CN='LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"'

>>alias CN='LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"'
>>
>>You can also have a look at "Dialog: SCIM Globale Einstellungen" in the
>>online help of skim or my howto for a way to use skim without changing
>>your locale.
>>

>I played around with qtconfig and replaced the line in .bashrc - but nothing
>worked, I still have a very bad font:
>http://www.personal.uni-jena.de/~p1woro/screenshots/20040921-kwrite-skim-screenshot.png
>(112 kb !)
>
>I do not know enough about these things, but for me it seems that my standard
>chinese font has just view and only fixed latin charakters. Can I change this
>somewhere?

Yes, you can. You should really use a European font, and in qtconfig,
set it up so that characters not contained in that font are taken from a
matching Chinese font. It is explained in
http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/kde-font-setup.html and should work
for Fedora as well.

>Btw.: I've never changed my local:
>
>$ cat /etc/sysconfig/i18n
>LANG="de_DE.UTF-8"
>SUPPORTED="de_DE.UTF-8:de_DE:de"
>SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
>
>Maybe I should?
>
>Roland

You change your locale settings when you use the CN alias (only for the
program that is started on the same command line). Could you try to
start kwrite as follows:

LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.UTF-8" XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM" kwrite

Does this work?

Regards,