[SCIM] skim and Fedora Core 2

Roland Wolters wolters.liste at gmx.net
Tue Sep 21 19:49:39 UTC 2004

Once upon a time Jan Hefti wrote:

> >>No, that is not normal. It sounds as if you are using a Chinese font
> >>instead of a font (or a collection of fonts - have a look at
> >>http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/kde-font-setup.html ) capable of
> >>displaying a larger range of Unicode characters. Apart from changing
> >>your font, another way to solve your problem is to change
> >>
> >>alias CN='LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"'

> >>alias CN='LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"'
> >>
> >>You can also have a look at "Dialog: SCIM Globale Einstellungen" in the
> >>online help of skim or my howto for a way to use skim without changing
> >>your locale.
> >
> >I played around with qtconfig and replaced the line in .bashrc - but
> > nothing worked, I still have a very bad font:
> >http://www.personal.uni-jena.de/~p1woro/screenshots/20040921-kwrite-skim-s
> >creenshot.png (112 kb !)
> >
> >I do not know enough about these things, but for me it seems that my
> > standard chinese font has just view and only fixed latin charakters. Can
> > I change this somewhere?
>
> Yes, you can. You should really use a European font, and in qtconfig,
> set it up so that characters not contained in that font are taken from a
> matching Chinese font. It is explained in
> http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/kde-font-setup.html and should work
> for Fedora as well.

Ok, I think I am no clear enough: I had followed evenerything written there.
As standard Font I have Nimbus Sans L, too, and I have some fonts to
substitue:
AR PL Sungtil GB (hope that this is a right chinese font)
Kochi Mincho
Baekmuk Batang

And every imput works with these things but kwrite looks like broken - and I
am not able to input german "Umlaute" like öäß. And in the kwrite menu and
toolbar and in the text which I input I have letters with a fixed width!
So are you sure it is a problem of font substitution?

Sure, when I start the kwrite with

LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8" XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM" kwrite

then I get the problems of non substitutable fonts.

Seems to be difficult, hm?

Roland