[Spice-devel] xf86-video-qxl performance

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Thu May 24 04:28:26 PDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
> I need to improve the performance of the xf86-video-qxl driver; aka
> xspice; by a fairly substantial margin.

What performance characteristic would you like to improve?
1. Performance over WAN (high latency and/or low bandwidth) ?
2. CPU usage (on the server and/or the client and/or the guest) ?
3. Other?

I suggest trying to figure out what is it that you wish to 'attack' first.
Some of the decisions taken during the development of Spice certainly did not take into account WAN conditions, for example.
It was initially mostly concerned with providing physical-like experience, on decent servers and clients over LAN.

> I've set up a test case - LibreOffice over an 80 ms latency
> connection -
> that demonstrates that it's got quite a long way to go.  (The current
> case appears to suffer from an excessive set of draw fill
> operations).

Sounds familiar - I've seen it in a case where I expected to see a video stream sent instead.
Not sure what is more efficient, though.
Y.