[systemd-devel] new user/group population on bootup

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jun 20 10:18:06 PDT 2014

On Sun, 15.06.14 15:16, Michael Marineau (michael.marineau at coreos.com) wrote:

> > BTW: given that there's now at least Colin, Kay, me, and CoreOS working
> > on getting empty /etc working, can we at least try to agree where the
> > vendor versions of the files should be? I am kinda voting for
> > /usr/share/etc, and this is prime bike shedding material, but we should
> > try to get some consensus there what we are pushing for, especially
> > regarding prospects to maybe get this into RPM, to always implicitly
> > place a copy of the config files there...
>
> For CoreOS I've been using /usr/share/<pkg> for most things with the
> exception of some stuff in /usr/share/baselayout simply because that's
> the name of the basic filesystem layout package we inherited from
> Gentoo. Using /usr/share/etc sounds good to me and we can easily
> switch to that for common shared data/conf files. /usr/share/<pkg>
> should probably be preferred where possible. So the default
> sh-compatible copy of /etc/profile may come from /usr/share/etc but
> the default global bashrc should probably be in /usr/share/bash. That
> follows the existing pattern of /usr/share so it doesn't become a
> random choice where default configuration files land. That said I
> don't really care that much so if it is easier to make /usr/share/etc
> a strait-up mirror of /etc I'm not going to fuss about it. :)
>
> As a side note there is already that /usr/share/misc but perhaps best
> to leave that alone.

So, the RPM guys wanted a full tree in /usr/share, where they can put
both etc and var stuff. Kay and I are pushing for /usr/share/factory/etc
and /usr/share/factory/var hence. So to make a step here we now added a
logic to tmpfiles to automatically copy/symlink thing from
/usr/share/factory, if you use C or L in the files but don't specify a
source path. This means, simply putting this in a tmpfiles line will now
do the right thing if you put your resources in /usr/share/factory:

    C /etc/pam.d
    C /etc/dbus-1

These lines will initialize /etc/pam.d and /etc/dbus-1 from
/usr/share/factory/etc/pam.d and /usr/share/factory/etc/dbus-1.

Hope this makes sense.