[Tango-artists] Boycott Everything Novell

Simon Otter simon at otter.se
Sat Nov 4 02:49:18 PST 2006

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 05:18:50 +0100, Landy DeField <landy at revelinux.com>
wrote:

> It is indeed a sad week for anyone who supports and contributes to free
> software. Unfortunately Novell the company who is funding the
> development of the Tango icon set has gone and done something very
> foolish. As a result many developers and other companies that have a
> much longer and better history of contributing to FOSS may be seriously
> hurt. I cannot in good conscious use or support the use of the Tango
> icon set. I would encourage everyone who values freedom above all else
> to remove all SUSE/Novell products and discontinue use of all Novell
> projects including Tango.

This is strictly off-topic, as your original message. I think its a bit
childish to boycott Novell for signing a deal with Microsoft, they're not
giving away anything to Microsoft, nor are they handing over their
intellectual property to Microsoft. So I really don't get what you are
talking about. Also saying "..has gone and done something very foolish"
and leaving out all the facts is a shady way to rally a boycott.

Now Tango ISN'T NOVELL, some of the contributors are working for Novell,
but Tango itself is Creative Commons which you seem to have missed.

--
Yours Sincerely Simon Otter