[Telepathy] Change proposal to Connection.Interface.Capabilities

Daniel d'Andrada Tenório de Carvalho daniel.carvalho at indt.org.br
Wed Sep 20 06:07:35 PDT 2006

Hi all,

First of all, thanks for your attention, Olli.

I agree with you when it comes to ease of implementation. It's a pain to
handle complex D-Bus signatures in C, for instance. What I'm trying to
do with that change proposal is to make Telepathy a little more
consistent, more coherent.

What are we standing for? Simple signatures compromising correctness to
favor ease of implementation or the opposite instead? Because,
currently, Telepathy stands for both of them (or none, depending on your
point of view).

Connection.Interface.Capabilities interface seems to be on the "ease of
use" side. But let's take a look at, for instance, PresenceUpdate signal
from Connection.Interface.Presence interface. It has this intimidating
(or beautiful) signature:

a{u(ua{sa{sv}})}

This is clearly not easy to construct, handle or iterate over. If we
were to favor the "ease of use" side, this signature should be
simplified (following the Capabilities interface style) to:

a(uusa{sv})

So, Connection.Interface.Capabilities is on the "ease of use" side and
Connection.Interface.Presence is on the "correctness" side.

What side are we taking?

Hope you guys take some time to think over it.

Regards,
Daniel d'Andrada T. de Carvalho - INdT